Mount Kenya National Park and Mount Kenya Forest Reserve
What you will find in Mount Kenya National Park page
- Information about Mount Kenya National Park
- Links to Safaris covering Mount Kenya National Park and links to other activities you can engage in at the reserve
- Eastern Vacations Tours and Safaris selected safari lodges in Mount Kenya National Park
- Links to Other Kenya National Parks with related information
Mount Kenya is an imposing extinct volcano dominating the landscape of the Kenyan Highlands, East of the Rift Valley. Mt. Kenya lies about 140 km North, North-East of Nairobi with its Northern flanks across the Equator. The mountain has two main peaks – Batian (5200m) and Nelion (5188m). The mountains slopes are cloaked in forest, bamboo, scrub and moorland giving way on the high central peaks to rock, ice and snow. Mt. Kenya is an important water catchment area, supplying the Tana and Northern Ewaso Nyiro systems.
The park includes a variety of habitats ranging from higher forest, bamboo, alpine moorlands, glaciers, tarns and glacial morains. The park, which was inscribed by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site in 1997 and is also a Biosphere Reserve, covers 715 km2, and includes the Peaks consisting of all the ground above 3200m with two small salients extending lower down to 2450m along the Sirimon and Naro Moru tracks. Surrounding the park is Mount Kenya National Reserve with an area of approximately 2095 km2 Major attractions include; Pristine wilderness, lakes, tarns, glaciers and peaks of great beauty, geological variety, forest, mineral springs, rare and endangered species of animals, High altitude adapted plains game, Unique montane and alpine vegetation with 11 species of endemic plants.
Back to Kenya National Parks Mount Kenya Trekking /Hiking/ Climbing safari There are 2 routes to reach point Lenana on Mount Kenya. whose itineraries are:
- 7 Days Mount Kenya Hiking/Trekking/Climbing Safari using the Sirimoni route
- 5 Days Mount Kenya Trekking/Climbing/Hiking Safari using the Naro Moru route
Safari Camps and Lodges around Mount Kenya national park and the Aberdares National Reserve
Other Kenya National Parks