Masai Mara Game Reserve – Kenya
What you will find on this Masai Mara game reserve page;
- Information about Masai Mara game Reserve
- Links to Safaris covering Masai Mara Reserve and links to other activities you can engage in at the reserve
- Eastern Vacations Kenya Safaris selected safari lodges and camps in Masai Mara Reserve
- Links to Other Kenya National Parks with related information
Combine your safari with a balloon adventure over the Masai Mara, It will be an Experience never to be forgotten
Masai Mara Game Reserve in Kenya
Masai Mara is situated in south-west Kenya and is one of Africa’s Greatest Wildlife Reserves.
Together with the Serengeti National Park in Tanzania it forms Africa’s most diverse, incredible and most spectacular Eco-systems and possibly the world’s top safari big game viewing Eco-system.
The Mara country is world famous for it’s vast assemblies of plains game together with their associated predators.
It is perhaps the only region left in Kenya where the visitor may see animals in the same super-abundance as existed a century ago.
Masai Mara remains the best wildlife destination and especially during the period of Wildebeasts migration.
This is a phenomenon that has given this national game reserve a world fame ;
Safari lovers congregate in this wildlife hotspot to witness the wildebeaste migration as they make circular mara river crossings.
More about Masai Mara Game Reserve
Everything is big in Mara.
It is a country of breath-taking vistas, a panorama of vast rolling plains and rounded hills, of intermittent groves of acacia woodlands and dense thickets of scrub.
The whole is bisected by the Mara River and it’s tributaries which are margined by luxuriant riverine forest.
In every direction, there are the seemingly endless herds of game animals.
Masai Mara Game Reserve wildlife diversity
Mara posses the largest population of lions to be found in Kenya.
It also boasts large herds of Topi and a small population of Roan Antelope, animals not found in many other Kenya National Parks or Reserves .
Elephants are fairly common and the traveler may sometimes be held up by `elephants on the road’.
Among the great variety of large beasts are Buffalo, Black Rhino , and Hippopotamus.
The hippo-viewing platform on the Mara River near the Mara Serena Lodge is probably the best place in Kenya for seeing hippo.
Other mammals include Leopard, Cheetah, Common Zebra, Coke’s Hartebeest, White- bearded Gnu, Oribi, Warthog, and Thompson’s and Grant’s gazelles.
Masai Mara Game Reserve Bird Watching
The bird life of Mara is as profuse as it’s mammalian fauna.
The red-winged Schalow’s Turaco with it’s attenuated white-tipped crest is common along the numerous wooded watercourses,
In the more extensive riverine forest there is also Ross’ Turaco.
The Mara River is also the home of the great orange-buff Pel’s Fishing Owl and of flocks of wary Crested Guinea-fowl.
NOTE: The Maasai Mara is an all year round destination with the big cats, and all the big game still in the Maasai Mara Ecosystem.
Masai Mara Game Reserve Safaris
- 2 Days Masai Mara safari by air : Fly and visit the jewel park of Kenya, Masai Mara. This is the home to the Big Five; The king of the jungle (The Lion), Rhino, leopard, Elephant and the Buffalo. An experience of your lifetime.
- 3 Days Masai Mara safari by air : (2 Nights) An ultimate memory of Kenya wildlife flying safari . See the Big five game of Africa in this 3 days safari.
- 4 days Masai Mara and Lake Nakuru safari : Depart from Nairobi in the morning and drive to the view point of the rift valley. Descend to the floor of the rift valley and drive via Narok town to Masai Mara game reserve. Arrive in time for lunch. Afternoon game drive. Dinner and overnight in a lodge / Luxury camp of your choice.
- 6 days Mount Kenya, Aberdares, Rift Valley Lakes and Masai Mara safari : Explore Kenya highlands and Visit the Rift Valley Lakes of Lake Nakuru and Lake Bogoria to see the fascinating bird-life in these lakeside parks in addition to plains game. This Masai Mara combination gives you a chance to see all of Kenya’s birds and animals.
- 6 days Lake Nakuru, Masai Mara, Amboseli and Tsavo west safari : Explore lake Nakuru, see the flamingoes. Drive to Masai Mara and spend 2 nights at the jewel park of Kenya. Visit Amboseli and have a chance to view Mt. Kilimanjaro, Africa’s Highest peak. Visit the Mzima springs in Tsavo West. This one of the best Masai Mara Combination safari
- 7 days Masai Mara, Lake Nakuru and Samburu safari : This is the ultimate safari from Nairobi. A combination of Lake Nakuru, Masai Mara and Samburu, a Kenya safari that will be etched in your memory forever
- 7 days Masai Mara, Lake Nakuru and Amboseli safari : This is a true Masai Safari – combining a tour of Lake Nakuru, Masai Mara and Amboseli – all Masai peoples land – lands where man and wildlife co-exist with little or no conflict
Selected Masai Mara Game Reserve Safari Lodges and Camps :-
- Mara Serena safari Lodge is perched on a hilltop overlooking the beautiful plains of the Mara, Mara Serena encompasses the unique heritage and diversity of the Masai community.
- Fig tree camp is built on a beautiful site on the banks of the Talek river in the Mara, Fig Tree has been designed tastefully and in perfect harmony with the natural environment.
- Mara Governors Camp is set in the best game-viewing area of the legendary Masai Mara, home to the biggest concentration of animals and birds in Africa.
- Mara Intrepids Club is a beautiful lodge located inside the Masai Mara game reserve, about 260 kms from Nairobi. The lodge offers an all inclusive package rates.
- Keekorok Lodge was one of the first lodges built in the Masai Mara National Reserve and it is located on a beautiful eighty acre site surrounded by permanent springs and lush grassland
- The Royal Mara Safari Camp is set on the banks of the Mara River in Kenya’s legendary Masai Mara Ecosystem directly on the wildebeest “Great Migration” route.
- Mara Safari Club lies in the north west of the Masai Mara on an ox-bow of the Mara River at the foot of the Aitong Hills.
Other Kenya National Parks
- The Aberdares National Park
- Amboseli National Park
- Tsavo west national park
- Tsavo east national park
- Lake Naivasha national park
- Lake Nakuru National Park
- Nairobi National Park
- Samburu National Reserve
- Mount Kenya National Park