Lake Nakuru National Park, Kenya
What you will find on this Lake Nakuru national park page .
- Information about Lake Nakuru National Park
- Links to Safaris covering Lake Nakuru National Park and links to other activities you can engage in at the reserve
- Eastern Vacations Tours and Safaris selected safari lodges and camps in Lake Nakuru National Park
- Links to Other Kenya National Parks with related information
Lake Nakuru national park information
On the floor of the Great Rift Valley, surrounded by wooded and bushy grassland, lies the beautiful Lake Nakuru National Park
Lake Nakuru National Park is a shallow alkaline lake that is about 60 square kilometers in size.
The landscape includes areas of marsh and grasslands alternating with rocky cliffs.
Stretches of acacia woodland and rocky hillsides are covered by a Euphorbia forest on the eastern perimeter.
Lake Nakuru is bordered by Menengai crater to the north ,the Bahati hills to the north east .
Lion hill ranges, Eburu crater and the Mau escarpment are clearly seen from this park
Three major rivers, the Njoro, Makalia and Enderit drain into the lake.
Lake Nakuru National Park Wildlife & Birding
Lake Nakuru is home to thousands of pink flamigoes and pelicans.
This exotic park boasts of a rich concentration of wildlife including black and white colobus monkeys and is also a Rhino sanctuary.
Look for temperamental black rhinos browsing in the bushes, and larger white rhinos cropping grass along the lakeside.
No where else will get a photo of a rhino with a back drop of pink flamngos sifting food from a shimmering lake.
Lake Nakuru National Park other information
Nakuru means “Dust or Dusty Place” in Maasai language.
Lake Nakuru National Park, close to Nakuru town, was established in 1961. It started off small, only encompassing the famous lake and the surrounding mountainous vicinity.
Now it has been extended to include a large part of the savannahs.
Currently, the fenced Lake Nakuru National Park covers around 90 square miles.
It has unusual but beautiful vegetation.
The forest vegetation is covered with Euphorbia, tall cactus like trees and acacia woodland.
The forest region is a host to over 400 migratory bird species from around the world.
Safaris covering Lake Nakuru National Park
- 4 days Masai Mara and Lake Nakuru safari : A popular safari from Nairobi by road to Masai mara and Lake Nakuru National Park.
- 6 days Mount Kenya | Lake Baringo | Lake Nakuru | Masai Mara safari : Explore Kenya highlands and see the fascinating bird-life in these lakeside parks. Have a chance to see all of Kenya’s birds and animals.
- 7 days Masai Mara, Lake Nakuru and Samburu safari : Unforgettable safari exploration by road from Nairobi …
- 7 days Masai Mara, Lake Nakuru and Amboseli safari : Tour amboseli and enjoy views of africa’s highest snow capped mt.Kilimanjaro. Lake Nauru with her own attactions and Masai mara which is the jewel of our Kenya safaris.