Bird Watching kenya Safari in 10 Days
10 Days Mt.Kenya |Lake Baringo |Lake Bogoria |Lake Nakuru |Masai Mara |Lake Naivasha |Amboseli |Tsavo West.Bird watching Kenya safari ,lasting 10 days originates from Nairobi city or Nairobi airport. Bird watching Kenya safari Tour Highlights includes :-
- Mount Kenya national park
- Lake Bogoria
- Lake Baringo
- Lake Nakuru national park
- Masai mara national game reserve
- Lake Naivasha
- Amboseli national park
- Tsavo west national park
- Rift valley lakes
- Rhino sanctuary
Bird watching Kenya safari itinerary
Day 1: Bird Watching Kenya safari [Nairobi] – mount KenyaMeet and greet followed by a short tour briefing before departure.Enjoy a relaxed scenic drive toward mount Kenya. Mount Kenya standing at 5,199 m high is Africa’ second highest Mountain.The mountain’s sprawling slopes are cloaked in forest, bamboo, scrub and moorland, giving way on the high central peaks to rock, ice and snow in its peaks.The Mountain has a rich montane avifauna.Arrive in time for lunch.Embark on our first bird watching exercise.Some of the birds that exists in this area includes Abbott’s Starling,Lesser Kestrel (a passage migrant on the moorland), Jackson’s widow bird, Sharpe’s Longclaw, Olive Ibis, Sledgehammer, Ayres’s hawk-eagle, African Crowned Eagle, African Grass Owl, Cape Eagle-Owl, Purple-throated Cuckoo-shrike, Long-tailed widow bird, Abyssinian Owl (very rare and poorly researched), Scarlet-tufted Sunbird, and Kenrick’s Starling . Dinner and overnight in your lodge/luxury tented camp of choice.
Day 2: Mount Kenya-via Abaderes Lake Bogoria-Lake BaringoAfter an early morning breakfast, check out and drive via Thomson’s Falls with a stop over to view the scenic waterfalls .Proceed via Tea / coffee plantations stopping briefly at Lake Bogoria to see the Hot Springs and the Geysers and then continue to your lodge for check in and Lunch. Enjoy a guided bird walk around this fresh water lake with over 450 species of birds. Birds that are found in this area includes curly crested helmet shrikes, silverbird, grey silver-headed silverbll, gery-headed bush shrike, northern masked weaver.Take a boat trip on the lake [at an extra cost] or visit the Njemps tribe and see more birds. large concentration of lesser and greater flamingos also exists in this rift valley lakes. Dinner and overnight at a lodge/luxury tented camp.
Day 3:Lake Baringo-Lake NakuruAfter breakfast, leave for Lake Nakuru National park. Arrive in time for lunch. Evening game drive starts at 1600 Hrs.Important to note is that lake Nakuru national park is located on the floor of the rift valley and its alkaline water attracts tens of thousands of flamingos & other pelicans which make it an ornithological bird’s paradise.In addition to bird watching activities,the park hosts a Rhino sanctuary with both black and White Rhinos present.Dinner and overnight in your lodge / Luxury camp of choice.
Day 4: Lake Nakuru – Masai MaraEarly morning breakfast followed by a departure with Bird viewing enroute to the exit. Drive to Masai Mara arriving in time for late lunch. Evening game drive & Bird watching in this paradise of animals. Dinner and overnight in a Lodge or Tented Camp of your choice.
Day 5: Masai mara bird watchingSpent the whole day in Bird viewing.Masai mara an endemic bird area with even the Seven globally threatened species recorded which include the Madagascar Pond-Heron, Pallid Harrier, Jackson’s Widowbird, Red-throated Tit, Grey-crested Helmet-shrike, Corncrake, and Lesser Kestrel.Grassland birds ,12 species of Cisticola , 53 birds of prey,Large numbers of Palearctic migrants winter in the area including Caspian Ploverand White Stork.In addition to bird watching Look out for the “BIG FIVE”,Predators, Scarventures and many more as they roam freely in this game reserve. Lunch will be by the mara river.Dinner and overnight in a lodge/Luxury camp of choice.
Day 6: Masai Mara – Lake NaivashaAfter breakfast, drive to Lake Naivasha which also lies on the floor of the Rift valley” a bird watcher’s paradise” .The lake has fascinating bird life of over 350 species supported by the availability of dense vegetation at the lake edge. Papyrus fringes the main lake’s shore and cloaks the inlet rivers. A boat trip around the lake with a stop at the marvelous Crescent island provides more chances for spotting .Many species of duck and Palearctic waders occur in large numbers.The lake is known for its high density of African Fish Eagles which nest in the surrounding Acacia woodland. Grey-crested Helmeted-shrike, Basra Reed Warbler, Lesser Flamingo, along with large congregations of Red-knobbed Coot, African Spoonbill and Little Grebe also exists.Dinner and overnight in your lodge /Luxury tented camp.
Day 7: Lake Naivasha – AmboseliEarly breakfast will be followed by a check-out from your lodge/tented camp.Optional visit the towering cliffs of the hell’s gate gorge .Much time will not be spend here as we have a journey ahead to Amboseli national park.We will have our lunch enroute. Arrive in Amboseli in the evening.Time permitting evening game and birding drive .Dinner and overnight in a lodge/Luxury tented camp.
Day 8: Amboseli bird watchingWe will start the day before sunrise to enjoy the magnificent view of Mount Kilimanjaro and set off for a bird / wildlife drive before the clouds build up over the summit. Mt. Kilimanjaro is the highest mountain in Africa and is snow-capped at the peaks. The majesty of this tropical mountain makes Amboseli an ideal photographers haven by offering a spectacular back ground for wildlife and scenic photography.Members of the big five exists with hippos and other grazers often seen from the observation hill.Amboseli boosts of a rich bird life, with over 400 bird species recorded, including the globally threatened Madagascar Pond-Heron, Lesser Flamingo, Lesser Kestrel , the Shoe bill and many more.All meal and overnight in the same lodge / luxury tented camp.
Day 9: Amboseli -Tsavo west bird watchingEarly breakfast followed by a checkout from your lodge.Short bird viewing enroute to exit.Proceed to Tsavo west through chyulu gate arriving in your lodge in time for lunch.We shall have a rest before the evening birding drive / game drive.Tsavo West National Park has a prolific birdlife & lies within the migratory routes of palearctic migrant birds.Over 500 species have been recorded from this park.Look out for African Finfoot, African Darter, Great egret, Saddle-billed Stork, White-headed Vulture, Martial Eagle ,Violet Wood Hoopoe & many more .Dinner and overnight in the same lodge / luxury tented camp.
Day 10: Tsavo West – NairobiThis is our last day of our memorable safari and an optional wildlife drive shall be scheduled before breakfast.This will be followed by a checkout and proceed for our last game drive this time visiting the famous Mzima Springs.View Hippos, Crocodiles and different types of Fish in crystal clear waters.Lots of birdlife exists in this greenery location. More game viewing enroute to exit from this park.Thereafter drive back to nairobi or to the kenya coast beach resorts arriving in the afternoon.
The prices given below are classified based on:-
- The level of accommodation
- Season/period of the year
- The number of people sharing in a vehicle
- Low season : April to end of June
- Peak season: July to October
- High season: November to March
High level Lodges/Luxury camps:
- Mount Kenya:- Fairmont mount kenya safari lodge, Mountain lodge
- Bogoria/Baingo: Lake Bogoria hotel & spa, Island camp resort, Tumbili cliff camp
- Lake Nakuru national park:- Sarova lion hill, Lake Nakuru Lodge
- Masai mara:- Mara serena, Mara Sarova, Ashnil mara, Keekorok lodge, Mara simba lodge
- Lake.Naivasha:– Lake Naivasha simba lodge, Lake naivasha country lodge
- Amboseli national park:- Amboseli serena lodge, Oltukai lodge
- Tsavo west:- Kilaguni serena lodge, Severin kitani Camp
Standard lodges/Luxury camps
- Mount Kenya:- Outspan hotel, Abadere country club
- Bogoria/Baingo: Tumbili cliff camp .Soi safari lodge
- Lake Nakuru national park:- Lake Nakuru Lodge,Flamingo hill camp
- Masai mara:- Mara sopa lodge, Fig tree camp, Mara leisure camp
- Lake.Naivasha:– Naivasha sopa lodge, Enashipai resort
- Amboseli national park:- Amboseli sopa lodge, Kibo safari camp
- Tsavo west:- Ngulia safari lodge, Severin safari camp
Economy lodges /Luxury camps:-
- Mount Kenya:- Falcon heights hotel, Kongoni camp
- Bogoria/Baingo: Roberts camp
- Lake Nakuru national park:– l. nakuru lodge
- Masai mara:- Sentrim mara, Olumara camp,Elengata olerai,Mara Ardvark camp,kichakani camp
- Lake.Naivasha:– crater lake tented camp, Naivasha kongoni camp
- Amboseli national park:- AA Amboseli camp, Kibo safari camp
- Tsavo west:- Ngulia safari lodge, Rhino valley camp
Bird watching kenya safari Prices
|Cost per person sharing||Low season||High season||peak season|
|High Level Lodges/Tented Camps||2 pax||$ 2,010||$ 2,360||$ 2,760|
|4 pax||$ 1,720||$ 2,045||$ 2,460|
|6 pax||$ 1,620||$ 1,890||$ 2,300|
|Standard Lodges/Tented camps||2 pax||$ 1,735||$ 2,050||$ 2,160|
|4 pax||$ 1,450||$ 1,745||$ 1,865|
|6 pax||$ 1,340||$ 1,650||$ 1,750|
|Economy Lodges/Tented camps||2 pax||$ 1,650||$ 1,850||$1,950|
|4 pax||$ 1,360||$ 1,520||$ 1,670|
|6 pax||$ 1,275||$ 1,400||$ 1,550|
- Transport by custom safari van with open roof top
- Services of an experienced bird guide
- Mineral water while on safari
- All government Levies,
- All park entry fees,
- Accommodation and meals (full board basis) based on the option chosen
- Transfer from your hotel to moi airport.
- One way air fare
- soft and alcoholic drinks
- Tips and other grantitudes
- Things of personal nature
- Costs incurred while visiting local homesteads [eg.Masai village]
- Children between 3 to 11 years pay 50% of adult price
- Children occupying own room pay 75% of adult rate
- Single room supplement will apply in all categories except on safaris taken during the low season.
- This Bird watching Kenya safari can leave from any point in Nairobi city/suburbs /airport.
- You can choose your own date of departure.
- Any other information you feel worthwhile knowing regarding this safari will be provided immediately on request.
Book or Inquire about this safari