Amboseli National Park Kenya
What you will find in Amboseli National Park;
- Information about Amboseli National Park
- Links to Safaris covering Amboseli National Park and links to other activities you can engage in at the reserve
- Eastern Vacations Tours and Safaris selected safari lodges and camps in Amboseli National Park
- Links to Other Kenya National Parks with related information
Amboseli National Park – Kenya
Crowned by Mount Kilimanjaro, Africa’s highest peak, the Amboseli National Park is one of Kenya’s most popular parks.
Amboseli National Park safari can be combined with both Tsavo east and Tsavo west national parks .
This gives the visitor a very high chance of seeing all the big five and a whole lot of other plains and bush animals and bird species.
Amboseli lies immediately North West of Mt. Kilimanjaro, on the border with Tanzania.
Its wealth of flora and fauna has resulted in the recent designation as an International Bio-sphere Reserve.
Amboseli, meaning “Salty Dust” in the Masai language is an important range land for the Masai culture .
The ‘salty dust’ itself is volcanic ash from the eruptions of the Mount Kilimanjaro a millennium ago.
Wildlife viewing in Amboseli national park
Over 53 species of herbivores and carnivores can be viewed with ease.
The most conspicuous being the troops of over one thousand elephant who range the plains and wallow the swamps.
A number of other unique animals also populate the area .
This include lion, cheetah, giraffes, zebras, buffalo, rhino, wildebeest, gerenuks, impalas, gazelles, hyenas, baboons, bats and about 425 different species of birds.
The Amboseli ecosystem is typical of the open savannah grassland habitats of Eastern Africa, featuring open wooded grasslands, rolling hills and swamp lands .
The presence of Mount Kilimanjaro creates a unique selection of ecosystems found nowhere else on earth.
The Amboseli basin is fed by springs that provide a permanent source of water during the dry season.
The river systems north of the basin form a seasonal flood plain that is used by migratory animals during the rainy seasons.
Although the region has a relatively low wildlife biomass it supports a greater variety of animals than the neighboring Tsavo national park.
Some Amboseli National Park Safaris
- 3 days Amboseli national park safari : Visit Amboseli, Kilimanjaro’s courtyard, littered with all sorts of animals, predators and grazers alike..
- 3 days Amboseli and Tsavo west safari : Visit Amboseli and see the Africa’s Highest mountain. Sample out the Masai culture. Proceed to Tsavo west visiting the rhino sanctuary and the Mzima springs home to fish, crocodiles and many bird species
- 3 Days Tsavo west and Amboseli safari : Visit Tsavo West and have a chance to see the big five of Africa, game drive at the foot of the highest Mountain in Africa, Mt. Kilimanjaro.
- 4 days Tsavo East, Tsavo West and Amboseli Safari : The best safari from Mombasa! With a chance to see the Big five and the famous Mt. Kilimanjaro in Amboseli, a big surprise for many explorer’s safari of the early 19th century
Accommodation in Amboseli National Park
- Ol Tukai Safari LodgE is camouflaged in a forest of fever trees and palms inside the Amboseli National Park. The lodge’s location offers majestic views of the snow capped Mt Kilimanjaro, Africa’s highest mountain. The lodge has 80 twin rooms with a view of Mt. Kilimanjaro. Room features include hot water shower and bath, telephone and in room safe
- Amboseli Tortilis Camp(named after the local Acacia Tortilis) the Amboseli Tortilis is a luxury tented camp, located on the edge of Amboseli National park, on the southern boarder of Kenya, overlooking Mount Kilimanjaro in one of Amboseli’s few remaining areas of un-spoilt woodland.
- Amboseli Serena Safari Lodge in in the shadow of Mount Kilimanjaro, Africa’s highest mountain, beside a copse of giant Acacia trees and a gently flowing natural spring. The lodge is at the centre of Amboseli National park. Almost nowhere else on the continent can more wild elephant be seen than in Amboseli National park